SQL Server running on Azure allows organizations to use full versions of the server in the cloud without managing any on-premises hardware. Microsoft Azure is the best place to run an SQL server, as this server has achieved better performance benchmarks than ever before. The increase in value and its performance is the result of ongoing investment in the core Azure infrastructure that is optimized for the increased database workloads. Even the latest disk storage has speed up the performance by up to 70%. However, Azure is not all about great hardware but also has unbeatable price offers, unique Windows Server and SQL Server manageability features along with tools and programs to get the workload to the cloud. Azure provides great value for the SQL Server workloads with unique capabilities and offers that allows organizations to save time, and costs and reduce complexity. Leveraging SQL Server licenses with Azure, organizations can save up to 85 percent over the standard pay-as-you-go rate and can also optimize their workloads in Azure.
Reasons why Azure is the Best destination for SQL Server
Around 90% of organizations have moved their operations to the cloud because of the myriad technology benefits. Cloud has the potential to deliver increased productivity, innovation, and collaboration and today it is key for the running of a successful business. Customers of SQL servers will find multiple choices while migrating their databases to the cloud like Azure and AWS. However, to determine the best cloud for SQL server workloads organizations need to consider factors like innovations provided by the cloud provider and the independent benchmark results. Organizations while considering their options for running SQL Server in the cloud need to understand whether the cloud provider can provide them the capabilities to maximize the performance of their modern applications and whether they will automatically protect them against vulnerabilities and ensure availability for mission-critical workloads.
- Azure is regarded as the best cloud to run SQL servers because it ensures that organizations are always using the most up-to-date version and there are no updates and patches.
- While deploying SQL servers on Azure, organizations are provided with innovations like Azure Blob Cache that provide fast, free reading for them. This feature of Azure brings immense value to customers and is simply unmatched today.
- Azure also provides preconfigured, built-in security and management capabilities automating tasks like high availability, patching, and backups. It also provides advanced data security allowing both vulnerability assessments and advanced threat protection.
- Organizations while switching to the Azure cloud will experience transformation with built-in intelligence that simplifies resource management and governance and reduce complex admin tasks.
- Azure does not just prove affordable for organizations that choose it for migrating SQL Server but it is also faster. According to GigaOm research, the SQL server on Azure is 3.6x faster than AWS and Clastic Cloud Compute.
- Azure is best for SQL Server because it helps customers save costs because Azure represents a significantly lower TCO than AWS and it allows organizations to save up to 84% in cloud spend compared to AWS.
- Azure hybrid benefits allow customers to leverage their existing SQL server licenses for extremely discounted compute rates on Azure, whereas other cloud providers do not provide such benefits and customers may even require to re-purchase licenses if migrating to other clouds. Azure Hybrid Benefit provides flexibility to customers and eliminates the need to re-purchase licenses, thus allowing customers to migrate on their terms.
- Organizations have access to security solutions like Azure Security Center which provides advanced protection across on-premises and the cloud. This helps ensure organizational data is protected with the most up-to-date security solutions while simplifying security management.
- Organizations while migrating their workloads to Azure Database capture many of the same features and capabilities with which they are already familiar and they don’t need to update SQL Server again. Organizations don’t need to upgrade again because Azure receives constant updates made possible by CI/CD in the cloud that provide organizations with immediate access to new features as soon as they are available.
- Azure offers extended security offers for organizations under which they will gain three years of free extended security updates past the SQL server’s end of support and it proves a major cost saving compared to purchasing the same extended security updates from other cloud providers like AWS.
- Azure solutions for SQL Server eliminate challenges that come while integrating cloud analytics with on-premises SQL Server environments like data gravity by providing flexible APIs and highly available database resources.
- Azure governance solutions help organizations simplify data governance through consistent, organization-wide policies, permissions, and requirements. It is achieved through solutions like the Azure policy that allow organizations to define and apply security policies across all their Azure subscriptions and management groups.
- Organizations instead of wasting time on implementing new on-premises hardware to support growing data requirements can quickly scale storage for SQL data and allow simple, secure, and direct access to their SQL data hosted in Azure. This enables developers to focus on driving innovation rather than on maintenance and updates.